About Me

My photo
Connecticut, United States
I love photography because I love how a camera feels in my hands. I love wedding photography because I love that moment right before the first kiss, that look of excitement, the happy tears, the embrace, and finally the kiss that is the beginning of a brand new life together. I love senior portraits because it’s a time where they don’t have to hold anything back, they can be themselves, brag all they want, flaunt their stuff, and just celebrate who they are. I love photography because I know I am capturing memories that you will cherish forever.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thankful Thursday : I HUGGED A WHALE!

You've probably heard me mention this once or twice (maybe three or four times) this week... But it is true. I HUGGED A BELUGA WHALE! Long story short, my friend Veronica asked me to join her in a Beluga Whale Contact program at the Mystic Aquarium. I worked there for just over a year and I photographed these programs weekly for two summers, so when Veronica asked me I was literally jumping up and down saying "YES YES YES YES!!!" Well, technically I was texting her "YES!" but still, you get the idea.

If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend signing up for this program. It is worth every single penny you spend. Beluga Whales are the most lovable, friendly, and beautiful animals. I really can't describe how much of an amazing experience this was for me, it's definitely something I will never forget, ever.

See this goofy look on my face? It did not leave my face the entire program. It was like Christmas morning, but instead of presents Santa left me a 11 foot long, 1,350 pound Beluga Whale named Naku!

BelugaProgram-1

And this is Naku!!!

BelugaProgram-2

We started off our program by greeting Naku with a tongue pat- yes, a tongue pat! You have no idea how exciting this was for me! In case you were wondering, their tongues kind of feel like slimy, spit covered, raw chicken. IT WAS SO COOL!

BelugaProgram-3

BelugaProgram-4

See? I was so excited. For real.

BelugaProgram-15

BelugaProgram-6

HOW CUTE IS SHE?! I love her.

BelugaProgram-7

BelugaProgram-21

We were able to give Naku different signals for her to make different clicking noises. Veronica was drumming her fingers on the side of Naku and I was tickling the inside of her mouth. Amazing!!!

BelugaProgram-12-13

BelugaProgram-23

Then we were able to feel her melon. Naku uses her melon to help with the different clicks and sounds she makes for echo location. Her melon is filled with a liquid fat. It's so jiggly! It kind of felt like a balloon filled with jello... So awesome.

BelugaProgram-9-10

BelugaProgram-16

Smile!

BelugaProgram-17-18

Okay. Story time. At this point we had the option to see what it feels like for a beluga to spit or suck in water. We were also give the option to feel the spit either underwater or above water. I had a doctors appointment immediately after the program, so I had planned on not getting wet. But when the time came, I caved. When will I ever have the opportunity to get spit on by a beluga whale again?! And let me tell you, that girl can spit! I was SOAKED!

BelugaProgram-25-26-27

PROOF! I HUGGED A WHALE!

BelugaProgram-24-32


So for this Thursday I can definitely say I am SO UNBELIEVABLY THANKFUL for Veronica inviting me to go to the program with her! V, I know I've told you this a thousand times, but thank you, thank you, thank you! I will never, ever, ever forget this! I'm going to be that grandmother that tells this story to her grandkids a thousand times on each holiday, haha. You are the best! ♥

1 comment:

  1. Haha your so welcome Karen, it was loads of fun to go with you and see how excited you go over everything. I'm really glad I got to share this program with you.

    ReplyDelete